5 Tips to Finding the Job of Your Dreams
Looking for the ideal dental practice for the next step in your career? Review these top tips to help you find the best practice for you!
- Spell Check! Have a great resume and cover letter to be able to email to prospective employers. Make sure you spell check the resume and have a friend review it also. Many potential employees are booted out before an interview because they misspelled words or use incorrect grammar. Free resume templates can be found on the internet. One of our favorite resume bloopers was an applicant whose last job was as a “Dental Assassin” instead of dental assistant!
- Be Prepared! Check out the practice’s website before you go to the interview. Be prepared to ask important questions such as their software system, how many staff members do they have, do they have staff meetings, do they go to CE as a team, and what are the expectation for the position. Employers are impressed when you have done your homework.
- Dress for Success: First impressions count. Invest in a navy or black suit for interviews or outfit for interviewing. Try to cover tattoos and remove facial piercings that may be distracting. Dress conservatively for the best impression. And be on time!
- Make sure your contact information is correct and professional. Remove the song from your phone and make sure you have a working phone number. Change your voice mail message to show off your best phone voice and have a professional email address. Our favorite blooper email address was email@example.com.
- Be polite! Shake hands with everyone you meet. At the conclusion of the interview, thank the interviewer for their time. Follow up the next day with a personal note or email to the interviewer. If you are unable to come to a scheduled interview, always call and let them know you need to cancel the appointment. Unfortunately, 25% of applicants no-show their first interview. It is a small community and you do not want to hurt your chances of getting dream job now or in the future.
Good luck in your job search!